10 July 2014

Bespoken: The Sound Of Gears Turning And Spokes Spinning

Yesterday I wrote about a piece of bicycle art.  I've also written posts about drawings, paintings and other objets inspired by bicycles and bicycling.


We don't read as much about bicycle music.  And, it seems that whatever is written about it discusses songs that mention bikes or riding, even if only in passing.


What we never seem to hear about (or simply hear) is music made from the bicycle itself.  Steven Baber, who designs music from all sorts of objects you won't find on the stages of the world's concert halls, has created a unique series of sounds from the movements of bicycle parts.





He says he's wanted to do such a thing since he heard the sound coming from his bicycle spokes when he was a kid.  "Oh, I wish I could play that like I could play these other instruments," he mused.


You can find a selection of his "Bespoken" series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment